5.01.2013

Happy Birthday Baby

Monday was my birthday. I am officially 26!

I usually blog when I'm in a pensive/not-quite-happy mood, so as a change of pace I am going to tell you about my birthday. It was quite delightful.

The festivities started on Saturday. My parents came out and spent most of the day/evening with us. We didn't really go out any where special (besides dinner),  but it was nice to hang out. Believe it or not, a good deal of our conversation was devoted to Family Guy. John and I are obsessed with it and lucky for us, so are my parents! I knew my Dad would be but I'm surprised Mom loves it. Usually that type of thing would be something she rolls her eyes over. They also brought out a couple things from home. Some toys, my baby beach chair, and some other cute things. John's parents joined the four of us for dinner and we had a great time. We went to a restaurant called the Perk, a pub-type place. Mom and Dad brought a little cake for afterwards. On a side note, I hate when people sing happy birthday to me. I feel so awkward (in a silly way)!! I never know what to do with myself, so I wind up fidgeting and staring at my hands most of the time. I've felt like that as long as I can remember.

For the actual day I had to work. The birthday gods must have taken pity on me because the phone was not relentless (as Mondays usually are) and we were busy but not insane. The whole day was bearable because my phone was constantly relaying Facebook posts and text messages filled with birthday wishes. I was also so excited for my mystery date! Johnny made reservations at a secret location and would not tell me at all! He took me to a Japanese sushi/hibachi restaurant, Ooka.

It was delicious! I'm not a fan of sushi but I adore hibachi. We had not been to a good place in a looooong while. I had teriyaki chicken, miso soup, salad with ginger dressing- YUM. I also splurged a bit and had sake sangria (also delicious). John had sushi (smoked salmon, eek!) and Ooka tempura (salmon, shrimp, veggies with tempura sauce) and soup/salad. For dessert we decided to be adventurous and chose mochi (rice cake with ice cream). We had two flavors, mint chocolate and white chocolate raspberry.


All in all it was a romantic, exciting evening. That's one of the many lovable things about my husband. He always makes our dates special, especially birthdays/anniversaries/holidays.

Of course no birthday would be complete without presents. No matter how old I get, I can't deny that I love presents. (However, note should be made that I do enjoy giving presents in addition to receiving them. But my birthday is the one day I don't have to worry about other people!) I was spoiled rotten this year! Some highlights were Rosemary's Baby and Moulin Rouge on blu-ray, a gift certificate to my hair salon and Beatles-themed pictures. One of the best was Sex and the City, the complete series! I will now be spending the next few months obsessively watching each episode along with the special features. (Thank you hubby! You will quickly regret this present!)

I originally did not have high hopes for this birthday. It's been a rough couple months and turning 26 did not seem like an exciting thing. However, I was proven wrong. I had a fantastic time. I felt so much love as all my nearest and dearest sent wonderful, beautiful (and in some cases, hilarious) messages. It felt awesome to be happy again. I was reminded that numbers are simply that, they cannot change who you are inside. I was also reminded that I was fabulous and that I am very, very much loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment