5.10.2013

Mother Love

This weekend is Mother's Day! I am not a mother yet but I can tell you about the many mothers in my life. It's difficult to describe the many amazing women who have shaped my life into one tiny blog post. However, I have decided to tell you about three of them.

The first is my darling mother-in-law. I am so blessed to have a mother-in-law who is loving, warm and very much my friend. From day one she has welcomed me into her home and family. Whether it was setting an extra dinner plate on the table or remembering to keep a stock of diet soda in the house, Mom has always been so sweet. She introduced me to so many things, like flea markets, antiques and all things cool/vintage. What's more we have a lot in common and tend to like the same styles/things. She got to know me as a person, not just because I was dating her son. She has loved me like a daughter and we have a blast hanging out together. She is always there when we need her, no matter what time of the day or night. I have lost so many people in my life and Mom, along with my father-in-law, healed my heart in many ways. Because of them I have a whole new family to love and to love me in return. John and I are incredibly lucky that our families have happily come together as one.

The second lovely lady is my grandmother. Grandma was a major force in my life. She was just always there for as long as I can remember. I was always at her house, or always tagging along wherever she went. Grandma was a complicated woman but to me she was just Grandma. She loved me and spoiled me rotten. She taught me how to bake, she instilled Irish pride into me, she let me touch the breakable things, and so much more. We would lounge on the beach, watch movies and play house. Unfortunately she passed away 28 days before my 18th birthday. When she died my heart shattered. Eight years later, I am still not over it and I miss her so much. One of the biggest strengths in my life was how much Grandma loved me. She was always so proud that I did well in school and proud of my other achievements. I've loved classic movies and music from a young age and Grandma was always delighted to share the her love of Frank Sinatra or watch Judy Garland and Bette Davis. Grandma did not have favorites but I was very close to her. I hope that, wherever she is, she knows that my life would not have been the same without her. I will love her forever.

The last, and never the least, is my Mother. (No surprise there!) Mommy and I have come a long way. Mom is funny, loving, overprotective, smart, beautiful and crazy. Mom has put me first always. I always had everything I ever wanted (except my size Barbie! LOL). She taught me how to take care of myself, taught me that I am beautiful inside and out, and that I can do whatever I set my mind to. She's showed me how to find laughter through tears. She set rules, made sure I never took a wrong path and was tough when she felt she needed to be. She and I have our differences but now that I am an adult (yes I am one), I have come to realize that everything she does, she does it out of intense Mother love for me. We can laugh at the same things and fight like cats and dogs. However, I know that no matter what happens, or no matter how many times we drive each other crazy, Mom is always there. The simple fact that she loves me more than anything in this world has helped me rise to every challenge. With her I will never be alone. She will always be ready to be the Mama Bear that she is.

Thank you my mothers. Thank you for your wisdom, your laughter, your tears, your strength but above all...thank you for your love.

No comments:

Post a Comment